In 2023 we will celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Therese of the Child Jesus (January 2nd, 1873), as well as the first centenary of her beatification (April 29, 1923) and, in 2025, the first centenary of her canonization (May 17, 1925). For this occasion, the General Chapter of the Discalced Carmelites, celebrated in Rome from the 30th of August to the 14th of September 2021, decided to propose to the Order a cycle of reading the writings of Saint Therese.
To make this decision a reality, the General Definitory has therefore prepared, in collaboration with the Paris Province, a program of reading and reflection on the Autobiographical Manuscripts and other writings of Therese. This will preferably be done in the context of a Community dialogue. The distribution is as follows:
– Year 2023 : Manuscript A
– Year 2024 : Manuscripts B and C
– Year 2025 : Prayers and other writings.
Each year, 8 selected texts will be proposed. They will be accompanied by a brief comment and some questions aimed at stimulating reflection and dialogue. The main objective is to make us aware of the relevance of the experience and message of Therese of the Child Jesus for us today.
For 2023, the texts selected in Manuscript A are the following:
1. Singing the mercies of the Lord (Ms A, 2r-4r)
2. The smile of the Virgin (Ms A, 29v-31v)
3. The Christmas grace (Ms A, 44r-45v)
4. Prayer for Pranzini (Ms A, 45v-46v)
5. Her father’s sickness and Therese’s clothing (Ms A, 71r-73v)
6. On the waves of trust and love (Ms A, 80r-81v)
7. Death of her father and Celine enters Carmel (Ms A, 81v-83v)
8. The Offering to Merciful Love (Ms A, 83v-84v)
As members of the Carmelite Famimly, we encourage everyone to dive into the depth of experience and teachings of this great Saint, so that together with her we might “SING OF THE MERCIES OF THE LORD FOREVER”.